Sunday 31 January 2016

The Greatest Show on Earth

TRINIDAD CARNIVAL

"An explosion of colour, music, revelry, and creativity, Trinidad's Carnival has spawned similar celebrations around the world; but nothing on earth can rival the abandon, euphoria and stunning spectacle of our festival."
http://www.gotrinidadandtobago.com/trinidad/carnival/ 

jabjab
"With its massive masquerade bands, spectacular costumes, pulsating music and unparalleled stamina for partying, Trinidad's Carnival is often described as the greatest show on earth. It is a time for release and everyone is invited to join the party.
The most significant event on the islands. It is said that if the islanders are not celebrating it, then they are preparing for it, while reminiscing about the past year's festival. The heart of the musical celebration has been calypso; recently soca has replaced calypso as the most celebrated type of music. Costumes, stickfighting and limbo competitions are also important components of the festival."

Blue Devils for Jouvert in Trinidad:
Blue Devils | J'ouvert morning celebrations    
I couldn't agree more with the quotes above. Really, they leave nothing additional for me to say.  It's not something I can fully describe and do any justice, so I won't even try.  
Traditional Trinidad & Tobago Carnival Mas Characters
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I must say, if there was one thing on this great earth that you had the opportunity to attend and indulge in, I would suggest selecting Trinidad & Tobago Carnival.

...yes, I'm biased.

So biased in fact, I'm actually on my way there RIGHT NOW!! As you read these very words, I'm making my way to the island I call home for this, the Greatest Show on Earth.  

I look forward to days on end of activity, entertainment and revelry!! 
          Long days, and sleepless nights!  
                    Feting 
                              and Playing Mas!!
Fear not, I have not and will not abandon you here.  I have scheduled some posts in my absence, because I know I would forget to publish them with all else that would be happening.  

So check back every couple days for something new!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
And,  this being my first Carnival Experience since beginning this blog, I expect that like other things taken for granted, the experience will be different.  My perspective on many things have evolved and expectations are sometimes surprisingly different in many circumstances.  So I'm sure there'll be many a note-taking on things to address in this space as it pertains to a Natural Journey...Natural Lifestyle...Natural Living...and This NATURAL Thing.

...and of course, you'll need to know these things, when you too visit the twin-island paradise for Carnival, or any other time.  Or any other Carnival who's beginnings came from Trinidad.
Watch out for trident-toting devils and other costumed creations at Brooklyn's pre-dawn J'Ouvert celebration.
Jab Jab | Traditional Carnival Character

~ Josie Jo ~

Have you been to Trinidad Carnival yet??
Are you headed there this year 2016?
"Wha yuh waitin for??"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, questions and feedback, as do the TNT community. They're are welcome and truly appreciated!