Wednesday 25 May 2016

Hair Chronicles | StraightForward Flat Twist Up-do for Short (Medium) Natural Hair

A Flat Twist Up-do, for any length hair! Make it yours!
A Flat Twist Up-do, for any length hair! Make it yours!
A Flat Twist Up-do, for any length hair! Make it yours!
I don't know that this qualifies for the May #WashDayExperience Theme this week of "Next Day Hair".  While it is what my hair looked like the next day after washing, it isn't what is expected by the term in the natural hair community.  So, I beg of you, give me a bligh this one time, I'll explain why you should below.  

But, in a nutshell, not only is this style 'next day hair', is also 'day after next' and the 'day after that' hair too.

Flat Twists have been a staple style through my hair journey since cutting my relaxed hair off in June 2015.  Matter of fact, flat twists first appeared back when I hadn't even decided to cut my hair.  On my journey, they started off as my fall back as I just could not remember how to canerow (corn row) my own hair.  On another head my fingers work, but on my own there's a a huge disconnect between my brain and my hands and it just doesn't execute.
StraightForward Flat Twist Up-do for Short (Medium) Natural Hair
Needless to say, as a result, flat twists have become somewhat of a default style.  Which, isn't a bad thing, in the least.  They are their own style, and can become a whole other style when they grow up - twist out (haha).  Also, depending on the pattern, they lend to a range of versatility within a single style.

This flat twist up-do with the front portion in single twists has seen many versions before - here and here.  As you can see the flat twists can be patterned in any number of ways, and the single twisted front portion allows a variety of options to wear - loose, pinned, rolled, twisted out.
A flat twist up-do can be patterned in any number of ways, and the single twisted front portion allows a variety of options to wear - loose, pinned, rolled, twisted out.
Additionally this style works really well with accessories such as hats and scarves.  Doubling the 'look' of options you can have - with each look, add an accessory, and voila, a new do.
Not to mention, it's a short term Protective Style, AND its the first stage of a potentially amazing Twist Out

I'll confess, I got the inspiration for many flat twist up-dos from fellow bloggers and YouTubers, and I Pin many more than I'll ever try!  I learn so much from this natural hair community everyday!
StraightForward Flat Twist Up-do for Short (Medium) Natural Hair


I don't have a personal tutorial on this style, however, here are some tutorials from my trusted YouTubers and Bloggers 
read: the channels and pages I stalk on the regular, lol

The Wash Day Experience
How was your #WashDayExperience T this week?
What tips have you got for Next Day Hair?

~ Josie Jo ~
If you are inspired by mine, theirs, or even have your own version of a flat twist up-do, share it with us! 
We'd love to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, questions and feedback, as do the TNT community. They're are welcome and truly appreciated!