Saturday 15 October 2016

How I Stumbled on Achieving Extreme Moisture Retention in Tightly Coiled Kinky Hair


Extreme Moisture Retention | This NATURAL Thing Dripping Wet Hair
If your hair scoffs at moisturizers, and makes you second guess whether you did in fact follow your intense moisturizing treatment mask DC by rinsing with cold water, before applying your water based leave-in followed by sealing with the highest quality sealing oils, just like ALL the blogs, vlogs, articles, instaposts, and influencers tell you to...

Then... I got'chu!

If you and your hair's relationship is anything like mine, this has happened to you one too many times.  Maybe you've since found your magic secret regimen recipe to avert disaster and save yourself.  And maybe ...you haven't.  After being on this natural hair journey for well over 6 months I hadn't either, I was nearing a full year before I stumbled upon something that gave a glimmer of hope.  My thick, coarse, dense, tightly coiled, kinky hair, that for reasons unknown chooses dryness over moisture, allowed moisture to win, not one time, not two, but time and time again since discovering the grass is actually greener when moisturized.
Extreme Moisture Retention | This NATURAL Thing Wash n Go

The Accidental Experiment

It was one of those really busy days, you know those days when your to-do list seems never-ending, but you're determined to get through it all. Yup, one of those days.  I told myself no matter what else I had to do, I was going to wash my hair, because when I woke up, I said I would and the night before I said I would, and last week I said I would, and I'm not going back on my word to myself.   If you can't keep your own word, who are you? Plus, I had put it on my to-do list. So I washed it.  But then I had one thing to do, and then another, and another.  So I didn't actually get around to styling my hair until about maybe 4 hours later. I didn't know what fate awaited me as I hadn't applied any products post wash, no leave-in or nothing.
To my surprise, my hair was still relatively damp. I was certain it would have been dried to a crisp as it was exposed the whole time, not even pulled into the wash sections, but it wasn't. I gathered my products and tools and began styling.  Sure I had to spritz some water as I went along (as I usually do), more due to personal preference to style hair wet than it needing to be wet in order to style.

This is what I found as I styled. My hair was manageable, the product applied easily, and I actually didn't use as much product as previously when I actively dried my hair and had to spray with water to style.
After completing the styling process I put on my scarf as usual and went about my business, day after day, after day, not needing to re-moisturize as the week went on.  My hair didn't feel dry, it didn't look dry.  It had a healthy sheen and was soft to the touch.  Usually by day 3 its begging for a spritz and seal.  I usually use diluted conditioner (or my spritz mix) and DIY Shea Butter Whip Mix which doubles as an oil and cream/butter.
I even loved the way my hair felt when I went to wash it on the next wash day.  So, to test the results I deliberately didn't dry my hair.
...and the results were practically identical!  Soft, moisturized hair for days! Almost 2 weeks!

And I did it again, and again...and have been for the greater part of this year (since March following the removal of my Senegalese Twists Protective Style).  I began to think I was on to something on my salon visit for my 1 year trim in June; as my hair dresser was styling my hair, she commented that my hair was so soft and manageable when I came in (having worn my previous style for 5 days), and asked what I usually use in my hair as she was not achieving similar results - to say the least, with the products she was using at the time; I should mention, my hair was towel dried, twice! during my services there and felt like every H2O molecule had been vacuumed from within the strands -  but they know what they doin, right?

Due to the consistent results over 6 months, I knew it was time to share this with you.
............................................................................................................................................................

Theory

When left alone, the hair has time to absorb as much moisture as it wants and needs, leaving excess water to evaporate.  The moisture isn't being prematurely robbed from hair by actively drying, with the use of a t shirt, towel or otherwise.  So strands are left naturally hydrated.
Following with the application of a leave-in conditioner gives a boost of extra moisture.  The L.O.C Method serves to seal in that hydration and moisture with an oil.  Finishing off with cream/butter/styler (not gel) locks it all up in whatever neat little package it's styled in.
...........................................................................................................................................................

I know some of you are thinking, "isn't this basically air-drying?" Well I assure it is not, there are some major differences.  But this post is quite long enough, so I'll have to elaborate on those in the next one.

Until then, here are a couple pictures showing my last twist out using this technique.
Extreme Moisture Retention | This NATURAL Thing Twists
Extreme Moisture Retention | This NATURAL Thing Twist Out


How do you achieve maximum moisture retention following your wash day?


~ Josie Jo ~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, questions and feedback, as do the TNT community. They're are welcome and truly appreciated!