Sunday 10 January 2016

Recipe | TURMERIC, GINGER & HONEY TEA-TOX

You ever start the year feeling like you should do a full body overhaul??
Me neither...well, not usually, but this year, that feeling hit me, hard!
...and this Tumeric Tea-Tox was born


I have an Evernote account
...anybody else? 
No?
What is Evernote? 
Thought you wouldn't ask.
So Evernote is space that brings your life's work together in one place!  ( I didn't say it, click the link, you'll see).  It allows you to capture information in any environment using whatever device or platform you find most convenient, and makes this information accessible and searchable at any time, from anywhere. (SEE).

So, I have an Evernote account and in my Evernote I store all the REALLY cool recipes and such that I find (usually on Pinterest), but that I KNOW I will actually use.  Here is where this lovely recipe was stored, just waiting for the day, in this new year of 2016 for me to summon it into action.  My past self must have known my future self would be so serious about this Natural Lifestyle that I would actually start making my own 'tea-toxes'.  Hey my past self knew I would one day do a tea-tox!  
Wait...WHAT?!
Enough about my other selves.  
Let's get into this, shall we...

TURMERIC, GINGER & HONEY TEA-TOX

You can find my sources to this recipe by clicking through to both this GINGER & TURMERIC HONEY BOMB and HONEY GINGER LEMON TEA W/ TURMERIC link. Both are quite similar. and you can use either one or the other as is (I'm sure).  Check them out, would ya.

If you don't, it's ok, I'm gonna tell you why I chose these particular recipes.  Starting with the benefits of the ingredients used.

TURMERIC

  • The spice that gives Curry its yellow colour. (Well thats' all I used to know about it before my enlightenment)
  • A close, CLOSE relative of Ginger! (Thank goodness I didn't know this before, I may have never eaten curry - you'll find out why soon)
  • Has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
  • Helps defeat signs of aging as a great exfoliating agent (not relevant to this recipe, but hey...it's good to know - there's a whole host of other beauty benefits as well)
  • Natural Liver detoxifier - may protect against alcohol-induced liver damage as well as damage caused by a high fat diet
  • Matter of fact, it does all this too: support digestion, treat fever, infections and inflammations

GINGER

Honestly, I DO NOT LIKE Ginger, never have.  Yes I eat certain foods, cooked with ginger, but I was never one to add ginger to anything, or to drink Ginger Beer (yuck).  But with age, I find myself appreciating the 'good for you' things in life. My past self must have known I would  have, otherwise I never would have saved this recipe.

  • Immunity booster - cold & flu prevention and treatment
  • Antibiotic effects that can help fight infections and inflammation
  • Aids digestion, joint pain, circulation, nausea (also pregnancy nausea) and motion sickness
  • Detoxification properties
  • Contains anti-oxidants and vitamins which are beneficial for skin and hair health

HONEY

I've never been a lover of Honey either. Could you believe that? But I could tolerate it much better than ginger, and have long used it as a sore throat remedy (and Hair Treatment).  It's definitely widely and most popularly known as an Immunity Builder

  • Anti-bacterial & anti-fungal properties help improve digestive system and help you stay healthy and fight disease
  • Antimicrobial properties that not only soothes throats but can also kill certain bacteria that causes the infection and reduce cough and throat irritation
  • Reduce ulcers and other gastrointestinal disorders
  • Great natural source of carbohydrates which provide strength and energy to our bodies

LEMON

I have been starting my days with lemon in hot/warm water for approx 5 years.  Ever since my very first total body cleanse following my dark screen blood analysis (which started me along my natural lifestyle journey, before I knew I was on a journey).

  • Great source of Vitamin C
  • Has Antibacterial, Antiviral, and Immune-boosting powers
  • Digestive aid and liver cleanser - great for weight loss
  • Effective in treating acne (not relevant, but good to know)
  • Hair cleanser and lightener (again, not relevant...)

Now we know all the great and amazing healthy benefits of these ingredients, and even some aesthetic benefits, let's get to the recipe.

Ingredients & Measurments
4 cups water
2 tsp ground turmeric (or freshly grated turmeric if you can find it)
2-4 tbsp freshly grated ginger (or ground ginger), depending on how strong you prefer
1 (organic unwaxed) lemon
4 tsp honey
  1. Bring water to a boil, and turn down to a low heat for a gentle simmer.
  2. Add tumeric and ginger (Add more ginger or turmeric if needed to taste)
  3. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes
  4. Remove from heat and allow mixture to steep, and to cool slightly
    Or cool completely and store in a glass jar until ready to use.  When ready to use...
  5. Pour out 1 cup mixture into a tea cup...coffee mug...vessel of your choice for warm to hot liquids
  6. Stir in a 1/2 teaspoons of the honey to the mixture 
  7. And drink.

    You can also add this as a base to your favorite brewed tea.

Have you ever done a tea-tox?  Did I just make that word up?? 
Well how do you detox?  At the beginning of the year or any old time.

~ Josie Jo ~
If you try this recipe, please do comment.  
I'd love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, questions and feedback, as do the TNT community. They're are welcome and truly appreciated!