Wednesday 2 September 2015

New Hair Goodies

I'm so excited that I have new goodies for my hair!! Products that have long been used in cultures across the globe and those recently shot into the limelight, receiving praises near and far for NATURAL hair (and all hair, of course).


I started using Natural products a few months ago, even before I 'big chopped', as I learned more and more about the benefits of Natural products.  Some I purchased and others, lucky for me grew in the yard or came in my grocery shopping cart.

As I alluded to in a previous post, I dabbled in DIY a bit before, but the outcome wasn't always stellar...matter of fact, I swore off the use of fruits in my hair all together some time back.  But as I continue on this journey and continue to learn, I see the err in my ways (preparation, application, etc.).  And so, I have decided to reconsider the DIY route.

...Which brings me to this post.

Since my 'big chop' I have been using mostly the same products I had previously been using in my hair, because I always purchased products for MY hair, not relaxed hair or natural hair, but MY hair...my dry, coarse hair, so I felt that there was no reason to go out an clear the shelves/to toss out the things that hadn't done me any harm in my 'hair journey' thus far.  I decided that when the time had come, and I had some empties, then I would start giving some exclusivity to new and natural products.
I also wanted some time to get to know this mane growing out of my head.  After many, many years of treating my relaxed hair, I had to re-familiarize myself with the feeling, needs and wants of my hair in its natural state.  I didn't want to start slapping things on my hair that it probably doesn't even need or won't play nice with, just because of new popularity or rave reviews.

So beginning this month, AUGUST, I'm focusing on the effects of some new and recently acquired products.

Here's what's going in this month:
L-R: Now Solutions Castor Oil, Nutiva Coconut Oil,
Miss Jessie's Coily Custard, African Secret 100% Organic Shea Butter Yellow


NOW Solutions Castor Oil, 16 oz
  • Versatile Skin Care
  • Skin Softener
  • Multi-Purpose
Solution:  Pure Castor Oil is expeller-pressed from the seed of Ricinus communis and is virtually odorless and tasteless.  While it's applicable in many other areas of wellness, Castor Oil is considered by many to be one of the finest natural skin emollients available today.  Also known as Palma Christi (the "Palm of Christ"), castor oil celebrates a history of use that dates back to biblical times.  Since then, it has been used therapeutically to help support and soften healthy skin and hair, and is commonly used in some of today's most popular cosmetic and beauty formulas.


Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 23 oz
Coconut is one of the world's most nourishing superfoods. This creamy taste of the tropics is great for sautéing and baking, enhancing your favorite recipes, and body care.
Our virgin coconut oil is cold-pressed and never refined, deodorized or bleached!
You can even use the luscious, soothing oil on your skin and hair. Use coconut oil as a natural skin moisturizer, eye make-up remover, or deep conditioning hair treatment. Combine coconut oil with coconut sugar and essential oil for an exfoliating, refreshing body scrub.
  • Organic
  • Non-GMO
  • Virgin
  • Non-hydrogenated
  • No cholesterol
  • Made from fresh coconuts

African Secret 100% Organic Shea Butter, 8 oz
Shea Butter is made from the nut of the African Shea Tree. It contains a rich amount of irremovable fatty acid which renders it far superior to Cocoa Butter and other natural vegetable butters. This fatty acid is crucial to rejuvenating and moisturizing the skin.Shea butter provides all the essential vitamins needed to make skin look and feel smoother, softer, and most importantly, healthier. Its therapeutic properties protect the skin from wind, cold, sun, and it helps heal wounds faster. Shea Butter stimulates cellular activity, fights the effects of aging and repairs rough, damaged skin.
  • Treats dry skin, eczema, and minor burns.
  • Pain relief from swelling and arthritis.
  • Improves muscle relaxation and stiffness.
  • Can be used as sunscreen, due to its rich content of Vitamins E&D
  • Treats dark spots, skin discoloration and stretches.

COILY CUSTARD IS EXCELLENT FOR TRANSFORMING FRIZZY ‘FROS TO SOFT CURLS, FIGHTING CURL SHRINKAGE AND WASH N GO STYLING. Finally, a wash n go styler that really works for “TWAs” and kinky coily hair! Coily Custard is the very best curl styler for transforming tight frizzy ‘fros to loose moisturized curls. Coily Custard is a slippery emulsion that coats each frizzy strand with a dose of super moisture and shine that enhances and defines your curl pattern, reduces frizz, and fights curl shrinkage. With Coily Custard you can now achieve that just-washed look when your curls are shiny, elongated and soft to the touch. Coily Custard is made especially for your glorious crown of curls.


*Linked Items are not where I purchased, but where more information can be found about the products online.

Note: I chose 'food grade' products for anything that wasn't 'off the shelf'/processed.  This Natural Lifestyle means if I can't eat it...it's not happening.

I will begin incorporating these beginning this month, AUGUST, and carefully observe and note the changes, differences, improvements (if any...there better be!) on my hair.  At the end of the month, that means, I will have robust reviews of my experience with each.


I'm looking forward to exclusively using these products and do hope my hair loves them!

~ Josie Jo ~

Did/Will you keep your same products or got all new ones when you committed to your Natural journey?
Have you used any of these products?
What were your first new buys (and why)?
(...so many questions, lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, questions and feedback, as do the TNT community. They're are welcome and truly appreciated!