Sunday 8 May 2016

6 Reasons to Spring Clean for Healthy Hair and Life

6 Reasons to Spring Clean for Healthy Hair & Life

So the cleaning bug bit me...hard!  
I know this isn't a 'good housekeeping' space, however I decided to share this experience because it's relevant.

I wouldn't say my place was particularly or out of the ordinarily dirty.  But it dawned on me that I hadn't given it a really good clean in a good long time.  I usually do weekly cleaning, you know the regular sweep and mopping, keeping areas tidy and generally looking presentable. I would say I've been keeping up appearances.

Truth be told, I am expecting my mommy to come visit later this month, and shortly after another friend will be visiting too.  I looked around and thought, "if this were an airbnb would I stay here?"and that's what really opened my eyes to the dirt I was comfortably living in.  I wanted my space to be the one you click to view more, you know, the 'nice spot' you wanna stay when on vacation.  And so I got to the cleaning.

And let me tell you, I'm so happy that I did.  The space feels so much lighter!  And really feels 'brand new'.  I could drop my bags and kick off my shoes, soak in the tub, and then flop into the bed without thinking twice.  Hey there are some areas I cleaned that I have never, and would probably not have ever cleaned outside of just moving in (but I wouldn't need to do it because I wouldn't move into a place that needed that kind of cleaning out the box) or having to move out and risk that security deposit.

While I'm not sharing tips on how to clean, because that's not what we're about here.  I am going to share some common benefits of cleaning and living in a clean space, with a twist.

Sanitation
Every time you clean the house you are killing bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms that can compromise your health. By cleaning especially in the kitchen, you prevent germs and bacteria, such as E. coli, staph, and salmonella that are responsible for many foodborne illnesses and infections.
Sanitizing goes for hair tools and accessories as well.  While you won't find bacteria causing E. coli or salmonella on  brushes and combs, you will find gunk and build up from products, hair oils, and shed hair.  This could re-deposit into your hair, making your hair dirtier faster and not allowing applied products to work.

Allergen Reducer
Cleaning is the best way to reduce dust and other irritating allergens such as mold from the home. Simply sweeping, dusting, and vacuuming dispose of dust, dust mites, pet dander, and dozens of other allergens that cause cold and flu-like symptoms.  If you have allergies, asthma, and respiratory problems, you can relieve your symptoms and breathe easier by keeping your house clean.  Keeping a clean space provides more opportunities to detect, control and prevent mold growth, which can wreck havoc on your health.
Some allergies, particularly to mold also reduce hair growth and may even cause hair loss.  Mold spores may also lead to fungal infections on the scalp.

Health and Safety
A clean house can mean the difference between life and death. Living in an unsanitary environment makes you more susceptible to illnesses caused by bacteria (see sanitation), allergens (see allergen reducer), and pests. An untidy home can also be a safety hazard. Clutter ie Junk, is a fire hazard and can physically trap you inside your home, preventing you from escaping in an emergency. Cleaning frees up space and keeps messes from becoming serious hazards, and means you can find your hair tools when you need them.

Increase Cooking
A dirty and unorganized kitchen can deter you from cooking at home because you don't want to make the mess even worse. A clean kitchen is much more inviting. Washing the dishes, wiping down the counter tops, and cleaning out the refrigerator allows the kitchen to serve as a functional work space where you can cook healthy meals for yourself and your whole family.
Making your own food rather than going out for meals means you'll know exactly what's in the food on your plate. This will generally result in you consuming less salt, fat, and preservatives, and leading a healthier life.  You can even add some known hair growth stimulants to your meals.

Legit Workout
Cleaning doesn't just make your home look spick and span, it also burns calories. Everything from sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, and hand washing the dishes can make you work up a sweat and burn off calories. Working out as little as 30mins a day is recommended to maintain health, and working out also increases blood flow and oxygen to areas like the scalp, which increases hair growth my stimulating hair follicles.

Improved Mental State
Let's face it: there's nothing better than walking into a house that is clean and organized. In fact, the process of cleaning and de-cluttering has been known to provide many mental health benefits. From the physical movements to the completion of a task, people find cleaning very cathartic. It's also a great way to release frustration, anxiety, and anger.  It also means you're less stressed about having to clean or not finding things (see health and safety).  Stress could trigger changes in routine physiological functions that may result in hair prematurely going into the resting phase, and may even cause hair loss.

If these aren't reasons to get you cleaning...then pretend you're hosting a Mother's Day Brunch, Lunch or Dinner, or having guests come visit for a while. Hey, pretend you're going to post your spot on airbnb, what ever gets you to get to it.  Better yet, do it for mom as a Mother's Day gift...or nah, who am I kidding.  But just do it!
Your health and your hair will thank you!
...and so will your mom.


Sources
Before It's News
Mrs Clean
WebMD

~ Josie Jo ~
What benefits do you see from Spring Cleaning?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, questions and feedback, as do the TNT community. They're are welcome and truly appreciated!