Friday 6 May 2016

Summer Hair Prep Styling | Inspiration & Motivation from fellow Bloggers

Summer Prep Hair Style inspired by Ebony of Longing4Length
After removing my Senegalese Twists in early April, I've been letting my hair relax a bit, not doing much with it and tried to be consistent with products.  If you follow my Facebook and/or Instagram, you may have caught a couple of my styles in the last month. 

I worked my corkscrew twist out (bantu/nubian knot) to the bone, almost.  I didn't wait for it to be like sands in the winds.  


As the year keeps flying by however, I know I needed to start preparing my hair for the summer heat and inevitable dryness that would follow.  It would seem that I'm on the same 'hair wave' as Jen and KLP who just released the May #WashDayExperience Themes with Week 1: Summer Hair Prep! Imagine that!
I wasn't looking to join a challenge in this month, but if the stars align, why not, right?

So, here goes my last wash day.
  • Pre Poo with One n Only Argan Oil Moisture Repair Conditioner on damp hair in 5 sections.  I DIY'd a steamer by placing a hot towel on my hair, covering with 2 plastic caps, and then usd my hooded dryer for 20 mins.
  • Shampoo with diluted One n Only Argan Oil Moisture Repair Shampoo 1x.
  • I wrung excess water out and followed with my deep conditioner
  • Applied Kurlee Belle Banana Nut & Avocado Deep Treatment Conditioner, totally saturated my hair with it, further separating sections into 2 or 3 and twisting.  I covered with a plastic bag and sat under my hooded dryer for 40 mins.  After which I did a 45 min workout before hopping in the shower and rinsing twist by twist with cool water.  This keeps my hair from tangling making my styling process easier.
  • I wrung excess water out of each twist and let my hair air dry about 30 mins before applying my LOC-Curls Unleashed Mango & Shea Butter Leave-in Conditioner, my DIY Oil Mix, and my DIY Whipped Shea Butter.
  • Then I proceeded to create my summer prep style adding Curls Unleashed Curl Boosting Jelly to sections as I went.

About 2 weeks ago, I saw Ebony create this style which she also was inspired to do by a fellow YouTube vlogger - the natural hair community at work, I tell ya! I luv it!


The style serves to protect the hair line, ALL the way around, especially if you don't create the flat twists too tight along the edges.  It also works for a variety of hair lengths.  I twisted my ends into each other and worked them around to the back, using pins to secure as necessary.  Longer lengths may actually be able to create even more variety with this style using the ends to bun, twist or wrap in different ways.


Additionally, as Ebony shows, it can evolve into a 'bomb twist out' when you're ready to take it down.  Personally I'm looking forward to see how that turns out for myself, check FB and IG to find out too.  Like I said, this is summer prep and I'm hoping to perfect a good twist out for the summer.

and that's my May Week 1 Wash Day Experience!
The Wash Day Experience

~Josie Jo~
How are you preparing your hair for the Summer? 
on Wash Day, with Styles, do tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, questions and feedback, as do the TNT community. They're are welcome and truly appreciated!