Wednesday 30 September 2015

Wash Day | Castor x Olive: Hot Oil Treatment

This month, thanks to the 30 Days of Hot Oil Treatments Challenge I was able to rediscover a pillar to any Hair Care Regimen, and I have these guys to thank for that...


On this wash day, because I'm still in the discovery stages of this new and exciting Natural Journey, I kept it simple. This was so that I could continue to assess and appropriately attribute the effects of each oil, for future DIYs and mixes.

On to it...
  • Using my recycled nozzled tube I was able to apply the Castor Oil directly onto my scalp.  I massaged it for a couple minutes and paid extra attention to my hairline (nape & temples specifically) adding just a bit more in those areas.
  • I then took about 1.5 tablespoons of Olive Oil in a small container and placed in a bowl of boiling hot water for about 5 minutes.  Ensuring it wasn't too hot, I then distributed it as evenly as possible through my TWA using my hands and then placed a clear cap on.  I then tied a scarf on.
Instead of sitting under the dryer to infuse more heat, I drank a hot cup of lemon water (first drink I have every single day). I started the wash day process first thing in the morning, and this is my usual routine so I figured I'd kill 2 birds (as the saying goes) as this usually makes my head hot.  I also followed that by completing a 25 minute yoga practice, which included some semi inversions, which, theory has it, is beneficial to hair growth as it increases blood flow to the head, stimulating growth... And it also makes my head hot (possibly with the increased blood flow).

  • I then washed my hair using a very small amount of my diluted mix of KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo, and followed up with As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner (for the oils and extra sweat in my head).
  • After letting my hair drip dry for about 15mins, I generously applied Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Moisturizing Conditioner with Coconut Essences and wrapped my hair with saran wrap.
I know, its not a Deep Conditioner, but...I wanted to see how it would work on its own as an actual conditioner (as opposed to a pre-poo as I had previously used it prior to cutting my relaxed hair)
  • To deep condition, I used a towel and soaked it in boiling hot water and wrapped it on my head. (The truth is I didn't have my hair dryer, which is also the reason I didn't use it earlier for the Hot Oil Treatment)  This cooled off a lot quicker than I thought it would, and I had to re soak the towel within the 20 min period. 
I let the conditioner sit about another 20 mins (as I was In the middle of an online webcast) before I washed out the conditioner.  I was unexpectedly pressed for time as an appointment came up, so I wrapped a dry towel around my head (I know, I know) for about 10 (maybe 15) mins while I dressed.  Didn't squeeze or anything though.

  • I finished off by applying KeraCare Leave-In Conditioner and One n Only Argan Oil. 
Yup, I did a Wash N Go!  But my hair didn't seem to care, by this point, all the goodness was already infused.
The results of this Hot Oil Treatment were great.  My hair is shiny, soft, and I have defined coils :o without even trying!!! My hair also feels very moisturized.


Could it be the Olive oil?😍



~ Josie Jo ~

THANK YOU for this 30 Days of Hot Oil Treatments Challenge 
Just Grow Already and Relaxed Thairapy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, questions and feedback, as do the TNT community. They're are welcome and truly appreciated!