Sunday 6 December 2015

New Hair Goodies | November 2015



I have a confession to make: I like to travel.
Ok, that's not the confession.
When I travel I shop.
There I said it. 
Wait ...I'm NOT the only one?!
Good to know. Whew!
Most recently my shopping has centered around hair products and such.  This TWA has taken over my life!!  HAHAHA.
As you know (or not) I currently reside in Bermuda (now you know).  Due to this, there are many brands not accessible to me, as they are not readily available on the shelves.  If its not super popular and in high demand, you have to source it yourself.  Which means international shipping costs and duty fees.  Neither of which are in my budget.  So I'm left to rely on the products on offer, and while there are some really good ones, they're still barely within my budget, because of supply & demand, and distributed freight costs.  For both of these reasons, and more importantly, because I generally prefer to use natural and uncorrupted ingredients, I started to DIY...a LOT, which wasn't always successful (but that's another post). 

Return to Ready-Made

I've stumbled upon, read about and researched, watched countless YouTube reviews and tutorials, seen pictures of successful styling results on IG and Pinterest about countless Natural hair brands and their products. And  I Just. Can't. Wait. to try and test them all out myself.  When I travel I can, because they're all within reach and can be at my fingertips without much effort.

I enter the stores and leisurely wander the aisles.  Who am I kidding? I'm like a kid in a candy store!   And before you know it, my basket is full, arms hurting and I need a cart!  Then I have to enforce some  restraint, because products aren't free and my pockets are not bottomless, AND all products are not made equal, regardless of trendy bold tag lines on the front label, or heavenly scents.  I have to be very selective and careful about the items I choose, and it takes a hell of a lot of discipline when shelves ladden and each product magically appears in your basket each time you look in it.
Wait, who put that in there?

To avoid sticker shock, and for the health of my bank account I developed a checklist for the items that eventually come home with me; you can check it out here: 4 Tips to Save You Time & Money When Purchasing New Products.

New Hair Goodies

I kept these tips in mind when I myself went shopping, and in keeping with my desire to use as natural products as possible, here are the items that made it home.  
Kurlee Belle Banana Nut & Avocado Deep Treatment is stated be just what the doctor ordered for dry, damaged hair. Its a dreamy, smooth and creamy mix of Banana, Avocado, Honey and Coconut that declares to bring tresses back to life.
Banana Nut & Avocado Deep Treatment is stated be just what the doctor ordered for dry, damaged hair. Kurlee Tropical Oils Blend is a lubricating blend of essential tropical oils including Argan, Avocado, Castor, Coconut, Jojoba & Moringa Oilal tropical oils including Argan, Avocado, Castor, Coconut, Jojoba & Moringa Oil, that is formulated to restore dry, damaged hair.

Kurlee Belle Kurlee Tropical Oils Blend is a lubricating blend of essential tropical oils including Argan, Avocado, Castor, Coconut, Jojoba & Moringa Oil, that is formulated to restore dry, damaged hair. 
Some of the brands weren't even in major locations across the US, and so I had to order blindly (without seeing, smelling or touching a physical item) based on the recommendations and reviews of others. And because they won me over with their philosophy and ingredients and NOT-ingredients. Other brands I did recon on at various stores before bringing them home with me. Even knowing exactly what I wanted, I needed to walk away a couple times for it to be 'worth' it...it would seem.

Aunt Jackie's Don't Shrink Flaxseed Elongating Curling Gel is made with Flaxseed, Shea Butter and Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a special moisturizing and conditioning blend that gives dry, shriveled up curls and twists a nice stretch. With regular use, hair is left soft without a crunchy, tacky feel.
Aunt Jackie's Don't Shrink Flaxseed Elongating Curling Gel is made with Flaxseed, Shea Butter and Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a special moisturizing and conditioning blend that gives dry, shriveled up curls and twists a nice stretch. With regular use, hair is left soft without a crunchy, tacky feel.
I received this through a Product Swap at a Hair Event.  I had been eyeing the brand for a while, so imagine my excitement.
 Jane Carter Solution hy.drate Quench Daily hydrator with Rosemary & Sage restores and seals in moisture, reactivates curls & detangles. It is a water-based leave in conditioner, made with Soy Protein and panthenol ideal for daily use, to strengthen hair and add moisture.
Jane Carter Solution hy.drate Quench Daily hydrator with Rosemary & Sage restores and seals in moisture, reactivates curls & detangles. It is a water-based leave in conditioner, made with Soy Protein and panthenol ideal for daily use, to strengthen hair and add moisture.


Now Solutions Pure Avocado Oil is a natural, nutrient-rich (containing vitamins A, B, D, E, protein, amino acids, iron, copper, magnesium, and folic acid), food grade vegetable oil with a light weight formula, easily absorbed into hair and scalp that is thoroughly moisturizing and softening, and beneficial for nourishment and hair growth.
Now Solutions Pure Avocado Oil is a natural, nutrient-rich (containing vitamins A, B, D, E, protein, amino acids, iron, copper, magnesium, and folic acid). Pure Jojoba Oil is derived from the seed of the jojoba shrub and is one of the most popular cosmetic oils available today.

Now Solutions Pure Jojoba Oil is derived from the seed of the jojoba shrub and is one of the most popular cosmetic oils available today. Its high stability, invigorating scent and cosmetic versatility make it idea for all skin and hair types, and it is most commonly used to promote softer hair and skin. Jojoba Oil contains many nutritional compounds, including long-chain essential fatty acids and fatty alcohols.
_________________________________________________________________________________
That's just a few... right?
Don't Judge! 
The last time I brought home any hair goodies was August (last time I travelled...see a trend here) and I told you all about them in New Hair Goodies.  Plus, these aren't ONLY hair goodies, the oils are multi-use.  I intend to get back on my DIYing, look out for Recipes soon!
...................................................................................................................................................................
To stay focused, prior to my travel I made a list.  I did extensive research on brands, their products and ingredients, read reviews, and of course watched countless YouTube videos, I even reached out via email, and got responses! I'm a sucker for great customer service and being acknowledged as a customer (especially when I'm not yet).  I covered my bases in ensured that these products do not contain
  • Animal Ingredients
    • DEA
    • Gluten
    • Mineral Oil
    • PABA
    • Parabens
    • Paraffin
    • Petroleum
    • Phthalates
    • Propylene Glycol
    • Sulfates
    • Synthetic Color
    *If I'm wrong please do enlighten me and specify the product in the comments.
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    In addition to these products I was fortunate to discover that some of the brands on my list offered samples.  I was able to order these samples where I can test full lines of the products out without the commitment of full sized purchases.  As you know, sometimes as great as a brand is, all products in the line just don't play nice with your hair for whatever reason (mostly ingredients), or only play nice together (and not with your other brand products, so you need a whole line or none at all).  But you only learn that after dropping the cash.  So I was happy to have the opportunity to try the products to determine which would make the cut.

    Also, as my luck would have it, there were some exclusive online offers in the time I was stateside.  I was able to order limited edition/offers, and win unreleased lines 'Boxes' (yup, like those subscription boxes, but without the subscription).
    Some I have received and others not yet, so I'm saving the reveal of these until later.  Look out for them soon!

    ~ Josie Jo ~

    Any new purchases lately?

    How about any great deals?  
    Discover amazing brands/products?

    ...do tell, I love to learn about new goodies!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    I enjoy your comments, questions and feedback, as do the TNT community. They're are welcome and truly appreciated!