Friday 2 September 2016

Video | Hair Chronicles | First DIY Permanent Colour Experience

DIY Permanent Colour Experience | This NATURAL Thing Hair Chronicles
Fresh Permanently Dyed Hair | style achieved with flat twists and perm rods
 Light it up!

YUP! That's a permanent colour in my hair alright.  And I did it myself!


I am no novice to hair colouring, it's something I've been doing since high school, but back then I used kool aid....yup, you read that right.  My kool aid days are over now though...I think, or not...maybe.  I just discovered that it doesn't work so well on my natural hair, or at all, which is a good thing....it means my hair is not 'damaged' - having open cuticles or high porosity. So I'm doing something right, right?

Since kool aid no longer works I had to find alternate means to quench my thirst for colour.  I did quite a bit of research, as always, and decided to use the Shea Moisture Hair Color System.  It was an incredibly lengthy research process, but was necessary to maintain my #HealthyHair4Summer, and for always.  Hair colouring is no joke, if not done right it can end in disaster.  I don't know about you, but I prefer my hair on my head in all its thick, dense glory, and not on the floor, or dry, brittle and thin. Just saying...

Verse as I am in the colour world, this was my very first encounter with a permanent dye at home, and it was also my first experience with Shea Moisture products in general.  I was excited, nervous, anxious, a little scared, yeah I'll admit that. If you're not a tightly wound ball of adverse emotions before permanently colouring your hair, you're either a professional or you're crazy.  I'm neither.

Although the Shea Moisture Colour System has been around for a few years and there are a good bit of reviews, walk throughs and "tutorials", there is still a void.  A process void, one that shares exactly what was done to achieve a result.  And while results vary, they can be used as benchmarks when you find similarities for comparison ➡ eg. thickness, density and length of hair can help determine how much product is needed; porosity helps to determine time for processing.
DIY Permanent Colour on Natural Hair | This NATURAL Thing
I documented the process for my personal record, and since it didn't end in disaster, I decided to share it.  I still may have shared if the result was less than favourable and a complete disaster, because we're all here to learn from each other, right?

Now, I'm no professional, and I'm not prescribing or providing advice. I am sharing my experience and process as it might serve to assist anyone trying to navigate the art of at-home permanent colouring.

So without further ado, check out the video below.

**I do not advise anyone on undertaking the task of permanent hair colouring themselves**
Always seek the advice, assistance and care of a professional

Have you ever permanently dyed your hair at home??


~ Josie Jo ~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, questions and feedback, as do the TNT community. They're are welcome and truly appreciated!