Wednesday 16 September 2015

30 Days of Hot Oil Treatments: Castor x Coconut



Hurray for Hot Oil Treatments!!!

Its been a long long time since I've done an exclusive hot oil treatment. I have been consistently incorporating oils into my hair care regime: adding to conditioner for a deep conditioning treatment; using in the LOC method; and to seal my hair, but it seems I completely forgot about the awesomeness that is a Hot Oil Treatment.

This month, thanks to the 30 Day Challenge I rediscovered a pillar to any Hair Care Regimen, and I have these guys to thank for that...
On this wash day, being that I hadn't done an oil treatment in what seems like forever, and because I'm in the discovery stages of this new and exciting Natural Journey, I kept it simple. This was so that I could truly assess and attribute the effects appropriately, for future DIYs and mixes.

On to it...

  • Using a recycled nozzled tube I was able to apply the Castor Oil directly onto my scalp.  I massaged it for a couple minutes and paid extra attention to my hairline (nape & temples specifically) adding just a bit more in those area.
  • I then took about 1.5 tablespoons of Coconut Oil and poured in onto my head.  It was already in liquid form (island temps keep things liquid) so I did not need to rub in my hands or warm it up.  I distributed it evenly as possible through my TWA using my hands and then placed a clear (processing) cap on.  I then tied a scarf on and proceeded to heat using my Dark n Lovely Soft Cap Bonnet for 15 minutes
It was pretty late at this point (as I started late because I wasn't sure I would actually wash my hair that day), so the treatment stayed in overnight.  And... then it stayed in all the next day as time got away from me (sneaky bugger) and I had to attend an event.  My hair was super shiny with the oils though, and so no-one was the wiser.
  • The following day (yeah...that was a 24hr treatment!) I washed my hair using my diluted mix of KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo, since the oils were in my hair for 24+ hours.  I then followed up with As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner (for good measure).
  • After letting my hair drip dry for about 15mins, I generously applied KeraCare Moisturizing Conditioner, placed a clear cap on and sat under heat for 20mins.
After about another 20mins I washed out the conditioner, and let my hair air dry about 30mins.
  • I finished off by applying KeraCare Leave-In Conditioner, DIY Moisturizing Oil Mix, ORS Incredibly Rich Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion, and One n Only Argan Oil.
Longest "Wash Day" ev'ah!!!
But my hair didn't mind one bit.
The results of this Hot Oil Treatment have me in love.  My hair is shiny, soft, and after 3 days still feels very moisturized.

~ Josie Jo ~

What are your fave Oils for Hot Oil Treatments? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, questions and feedback, as do the TNT community. They're are welcome and truly appreciated!