Thursday 30 June 2016

Eat & Move Series | July 2016 Goal

Eat & Move Series 2016 by This Natural Thing works to incorporate improvements in diet and training in a healthy lifestyle
Body | the physical structure of a person or an animal, including the bones, flesh, and organs
Mass |  a coherent, typically large body of matter with no definite shape
Index | an indicator, sign, or measure of something
BMI is based on height and weight. It's one way to see if you're at a healthy weight.
Underweight: less than 18.5
Healthy weight: 18.5 to 24.9
Overweight: 25 to 29.9
Obese: 30 or higher
Although there are arguments against BMI, labeling it a poor indicator of health, I have included this particular measure in the Eat and Move Series even though I believe that focusing on isolated values, such as weight and calories are misleading.
The simple formula used reveals much about the status of your body and your risk for serious conditions such as heart disease and stroke, respiratory problems and muscle and joint problems.  For example, A high BMI can contribute to cholesterol risk. BMI can also be used to assess the effectiveness of strength training.


July Mini Goal

July Mini Goal of the Eat & Move Series 2016 by This Natural Thing

Body and BMI Calculator
Using the calculator hyper-linked above I calculated my BMI, it also provided a Waist-to-Height Ratio.  The Calculator returns additional values indicated by the tabs: Weight (The weight that doctors recommend for a person your height to help avoid health problems), Calories (How many calories your body needs to meet your weight goal), and Heart Rate (How fast your heart should beat when you're getting a good workout). These 4 work together to give you a full Profile, and should be considered together.

I decided to share my results returned by the calculator below.  It serves as a 'before' value going into this month.  You have to know where you begun, to appreciate what you've achieved.  And I want to share the most of this journey with you.  This month in particular, having as much information as possible going in would contribute to greater success on achieving the mini goal.
To be honest I'm a bit disappointing with my results, knowing that I've been on this particular journey with the Eat and Move Series for a full six months now.  Half the year is gone with me working towards my overall goal, and these results don't seem to indicate that I've made any progress.

My Information Edit
Female Age: 33 Height: 5' 5" Weight: 102 lbs Waist: 25
Goal: Gain 2 pounds per week Activity Level: Very Active
▲The above information is gathered from entering values on the form in the linked page and submitting in order to return the results below

My BMI

17.0
YOU

UnderweightHealthyOverweightObese
BMI, or body mass index, tells you how heavy you are for your height. It reflects body "fatness."
BMI is one way doctors look at how healthy you are. It's a clue to your risk for weight-related health problems.
The healthy range for BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9. But if you have a very muscular build, you could have an overweight BMI and still be healthy.

My Belly Fat: Waist-to-Height Ratio

0.38
YOU

UnderweightHealthyOverweightObese
Belly fat affects your health more than fat in your arms or your hips. It's linked to a higher risk of heart attacks, strokes, and diabetes, and it puts you at risk for other diseases, too.
A waist-to-height ratio between 0.42 and 0.48 is healthy.
I did not use this method of measurement at the start of this journey, so in fairness, it is difficult to determine with accuracy the progress I have (not) made.  However, I look at these results and feel that they should be closer to the 'healthy' ranges. But I won't beat myself up about it, le sigh.

I remind myself that this is a journey, through which I am continuously learning.  It is clear that I did not know everything I would need to accomplish the mini goals I set forward, I didn't even know all the goals.  This is why there is room for, and need to have, flexibility so that as information becomes available adjustments can be made to redefine the path taken to achieve the end goal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GOAL MEASUREMENT | PROGRESS | SUCCESS
MEASUREMENT
Body and BMI Calculator

PROGRESS
Monthly check ins over 6 months using the calculator.

SUCCESS
Acknowledging the information above, I understand that in one month I cannot successfully achieve the result I desire.  I have therefore decided to have this goal stretch throughout the end of the year (as I have with the other goals Nutrition and Sleep).
.......................................................................................................................................................................................
As mentioned above, BMI should not be taken alone as an assessment of health.  Overall health relies on information gathered in other areas as well.  Just as this mini goal relies on the success of others before it (Eg. Nutrition) as is seen in the variables used in calculation - Activity, Weight, Waist.  It is a perfect example of the way a Healthy Lifestyle works, it is a bunch of interconnected variables, not independent of each other, that are different for every person, and require balance.
______________________________________________________________________________

Ongoing Goals

Nutrition - Incorporating the new information acquired from this calculator's Calories calculation, I have further stretched my Nutrition Goal and will continue to report my progress towards it throughout the series until the end of year.
April Mini Goal of Eat & Move Series 2016 by This Natural Thing
Sleep - Because I am yet to sustain the minimum sleep required for my recovery, performance and health based on my activity, I will continue to work on this goal as well.
May Mini Goal of Eat & Move Series 2016 by This Natural Thing
_________________________________________________________________________________
Sources
LifeScript
WebMD

~ Josie Jo ~
Do you use BMI as an indicator of health in your journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, questions and feedback, as do the TNT community. They're are welcome and truly appreciated!