Wednesday 28 December 2016

Your Best Year is Ahead | Setting up Your Ideal Life

Today:
It's officially the last week of the year. The countdown is on!
Most people wait until this time of year to think about their lives.  They may think about all they haven't done.  Or, dwell on where they may have fallen short.  Even spend time focusing on what wasn't achieved.  Let me tell you something, practicing this is not the best use of your time.  These seeming increasingly shortening days will go by way too quickly, if you're not careful.  Before you know it, you'll be well into the new year in the same position you are now - at the brink of realizing your dreams and living your ideal life.

Right now, from where you currently stand, you're in a position to take control of your future. And this is the best possible place you can be at this very moment.
In these remaining days of the year you have the opportunity to clearly define your life over the next year.  And not only the upcoming year, but also to set the stage for the following year and the next, and as far into your future as you decide.

Personally, I'm not much of a planner; I'm organized, but have never done any serious future planning.  In some way I've been able to stay on top of things.  It's time now not simply to stay on top of things, but to get and stay ahead.  In order to do that I engaged in a little exercise that I invite you to try.
They can... And they make the journey bearable. Dream on! while some people scoff at your fairytale dreams...:
Think about your future - as far ahead as you like, you can start with the end of the upcoming year.  See the life you want to have; really envision it.  Get into the details; be specific.  Everything you wish to experience, your ideal circumstances.  Use positive emotions.  It is important that you are very clear in your vision.  Now, get a notebook that you're sure you'll hold on to, and a pen in your favourite colour (not actually necessary, but, it'll be more fun to read) and write it all down.  Review it, and edit it. Make revisions as necessary until you are happy with the life you have designed for yourself.   Don't settle for a life that is less than you imagine.
When you are satisfied, working backwards, determine the actions needed to make it a reality.  Identify which actions you already engage in, those you currently do well, the ones you need to do more of, and any existing actions that may be counter productive and should be eliminated.  Figure out habits that will help you turn these negative actions around or replace them, and ways to make the habits stick - like a challenge with yourself.
Keep your notebook in a safe place and refer to it often. Use it in your yearly planning process; dedicate some time over the next couple days to plan out your actions over the year - month by month, week by week - that will lead to realizing the life you've penned.  As the year(s) progress, if there is any change, revisit this exercise using the new ideal as your end point, and make updates and adjustments in your actions and action plan to suit.
be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire #fearless #quote #inspiration:
I completed this exercise a few weeks ago myself, after reflecting on my year.  It led me to realize that although I had set goals, I hadn't clearly defined them, nor envisioned the life in which they would be my reality, and also I didn't write them down.  Studies have shown those who wrote down their goals accomplished significantly more than those who did not write down their goals and you are 42 percent more likely to achieve your goals just by writing them down.  This simple action of writing forces you to be clear, helps in overcoming resistance, motivates you to take action, and allows you to see and celebrate progress.
So, I decided to use a planner next year - for the first time in ages! Not only to plan my actions over the year and track progress towards my ideal life,but also to keep my life organized.
When last I left you, I was in the midst of comparing planners to suit my style and personality, and of course their functionality.  There are so many that the selection process could be overwhelming - ie I wanted them all.  In the end I didn't have to choose as I received an amazing planner as a Christmas gift.  This was perfect timing. Now I'm utilizing this final week of the year for the final steps in the exercise. To get focused and be intentional in my organizing.  I am setting up my ideal life.
You can too. Use this exercise and these tools to make next year, your best year yet!

The Best is Yet to Come Free Calligraphy Printable from littleredwindow.com!:


Have you defined your Ideal Life?

~ Josie Jo ~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, questions and feedback, as do the TNT community. They're are welcome and truly appreciated!