Thursday 30 July 2015

Tips for Vacation ...or STAYcation


http://bermuda-online.org/
Source: http://bermuda-online.org/

As you may know...or not, I am based in Bermuda.  
The tiny archipelago of islands that are so close to each other they're considered one mass of land out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, 2 hours away from most East Coast cities of the United States.  Also, most familiarly recalled as crux of the Bermuda Triangle.  And, the place I fondly refer to as my island paradise: the Triangle


This weekend Bermuda celebrates its Emancipation Holiday.  The celebration is referred to as Cup Match and is celebrated over 2 days with a Cricket Match between the 2 biggest Sports Clubs on the island: Somerset and St. George's.  Needless to say, the island shuts down for this 2-day match.
You can find a lot of information about Cup Match here, here and here.

Now, while Cup Match is the cricket match, it is also the short season encompassing the festivities and affiliated events.  The season starts the weekend before with the Summer Splash Concert Series, continues throughout the week with a host of different corporate, community and entertainment events, reaches a climax at the actual Cup Match, and finishes off with a Raft-Up Style on the water experience and Non-Mariners Race.

With all the fun and festivities it feels like a vacation, actually, for me, it was a vacation.  I would land on the island Wednesday, experience a whirlwind of activities and then be off on a flight Sunday evening or Monday morning.   Now, it has become my Staycation.
What I'm going to say next is contradictory to everything you know and believe.  Vacations are evil...and so are Staycations  We all know why vacations are great.  So let me explain in 3 points why I say vacations are evil:
  • As much I intend to, I don't work out; maybe because I'm so busy going places and doing things i.e. vacationing
  • When on vacation, if you're anything like me, you indulge in all things foodie to get a true and full experience of the culture and place you go to, and lets face it, its more difficult to stick to healthy and right-for-you options when your nose kicks in...you ever realized how most times you're not hungry until a warm breeze blows and something delicious blows along with it?
  • When on vacation your body takes a beating!  Unless you're on a spa retreat, chances are you're not sleeping enough and you're always exposed to the elements (sun, wind, snow, rain) which wreaks havoc on your skin and hair.
So while I thoroughly enjoy my vacations, I usually find myself recovering from my vacations 2-4 weeks after returning, depending on how long (and damaging) my vacation actually was.  And that's no way to live!  You go on vacation, not to set yourself back, but to elevate.  And so I've found some tips helpful in staying on track and preserving my temple (i.e. body, with lack of workouts, diet and battling the environment) most helpful.  
These tips actually work because they don't require you to pack a whole lot of extra items to work out with, or products to use on your skin and hair, they also don't require you to restrict yourself from indulging in local fare and traditional delicacies.  These tips encourage you to live in the moment.  That is to say, they take advantage of Nature at its best; they make your vacation work for you, while you just enjoy your vacation.

So while I thoroughly enjoy my vacations, I usually find myself recovering from my vacations 2-4 weeks after returning, depending on how long (and damaging) my vacation actually was.  And that's no way to live!  You go on vacation, not to set yourself back, but to elevate.  And so I've found some tips helpful in staying on track and preserving my temple (i.e. body, with lack of workouts, diet and battling the environment) most helpful.
*These tips are most applicable to a tropical/island style vacation but can be generalized to different vacation locations as well.

1. You don't have access to your gym equipment, weights or your trainer, but:
  • You can take along sneakers/running shoes.
    • Firstly, you can wear them while travelling.  Whether taking  road trip or hopping on a plane, running shoes (sneakers) are comfortable for wearing over long periods time and most appropriate for running through the airport to your gate before it closes *guilty
    • Put your 'travelling shoes' to work by going for a run/taking a jog/walk along the beach in the morning, at your hotel workout area, or on that running trail that ends at the spot with the best sunsets on the island
    • Use the most comfortable shoes you brought on your trip for sightseeing/walking tours, wanderlust walks discovering hip foodie spots and shopping, because there will always be shopping
    • You can even follow a short no-equipment routine in your room before heading out or yoga practice before bed to wind down (a lot of suggestions on sites such as Pinterest)
    • Most importantly be active while on vacation: use the stairs instead of elevators and escalators; walk short distances instead of taking taxis (you'll be surprised what you learn and discover)
2. Speaking of Foodie, you just have to try the local dish, the best restaurant's signature dish and of course have a drink...or three.  That's a given and I won't have it any other way.
  • Find a supermarket/grocery/produce stand close by to pick up fresh fruits, water and snacks that you can keep in your hotel.  Even better, if where you're staying has a kitchenette style set up, you can prepare light snacks to take along with you on day trips (fruit cups, sandwiches etc).  This also helps save some cash for adventuring
  • When eating out choose items on the menu with locally sourced ingredients as these are fresher (and have a higher nutritional value), this goes for eats and drinks as well
  • Select salads and steamed veggies as sides instead of items that are deep fried
    • If you must, choose sweet potato fries, these are my weakness and I've convinced myself they are in fact a more nutritious option to salads
  • Stay away from menu items that have words such as fried or creamed and go for 'lighter' prepared options, and request sauces 'on the side'.  e.g Grilled Meats, Pasta in Olive Oil Style Sauces/Dressing
  • Opt to share/split meals.  This allows you to try more items without over indulging.
3. Your body is your Temple and you should treat it as such.
  • It will be hard. But devote at least 7 hours sleep every 24 hours
  • Take along a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses, apart from being chic and stylish they help protect your hair, face and eyes from the sun's UV rays (and from wind if its an environmental element on your vacation)
  • Take along skin and hair products that are multi-taskers
    • moisturizers/make-up with SPF
    • hair ties, for the obvious, keeping your hair stylishly neat, and for securing small loose items while travelling (and as accessories, I always just keep them on my arm and they act as bracelets and are with me in case of emergencies)
    • All-in-one Body/Hair/Bath Oil
  • If your trip lasts long enough, or you're leisurely spending away your days at the beach you have 2 options
    • Wear a protective style in your hair.  There are so many awesome options right now with braids/extensions: Senegalese Twists, Marley Braids, Faux Locs
    • Measure and take along travel sized portions of your staple products. For me that includes Co-Wash Conditioner and Seal & Protect Leave-In Oil Mix
Now these tips aren't so bad, are they?  I have put these tips across as I have used them.  I came across many tips for maintaining routines while on vacation and these I actually remembered while on vacation, and are useful sometimes in everyday life.
If I can follow these tips, anybody can!



I will definitely be relying on these tips over this long-weekend holiday to help keep me on track, while I Staycation.


~ Josie Jo ~

How do you prepare for, and stay on track while vacationing
...or Staycationing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, questions and feedback, as do the TNT community. They're are welcome and truly appreciated!