Wednesday 6 July 2016

Secret to Achieving Soft, Strong, Shiny Hair

DIY Oil Mix for Soft, Strong, Shiny Hair by This Natural Thing
I incorporated the use of an oil mix into my hair care routine a few months ago, and I must say it's truly been beneficial to the health of my hair.
With the use of an oil mix your hair can become

  • softer and more manageable, 
  • display resilience and strength, and 
  • have a natural sheen - shine if you will

I have read many recommendations to reduce the use of oils as the summer heat approaches.  However, I will continue to use this mix in particular.  It is a blend of oils that's perfectly balanced and doesn't create the feeling of an oil slick on my head.  Of course, I must mention that I do have thick, coarse hair, which welcomes product and isn't weighted down easily.  If you have thin or fine strands, do consider swapping some of the 'heavier' oils for lighter ones (castor ◄►grapeseed) or eliminating them all together.

As with all things, only use natural ingredients from safe sources. Also be mindful of allergies to essential oils and be aware of their potency, only use small amounts.   
...................................................................................................................................................................

Recipe


DIY Oil Mix for Soft, Strong, Shiny Hair by This Natural Thing
Oils
1oz EVOO
1oz Jojoba
.5oz Castor
.5oz Avocado
.5oz Argan
.25oz Vit E
.25oz KB Oil Mix


Method
Add all oils to a small (4oz) applicator bottle (or double the amounts for an 8oz bottle) and shake well to mix thoroughly.
Store in a cool dark place (as is recommended for all (essential) oils.

...................................................................................................................................................................
I've been using this oil mix since April - a little goes a long way, in my regular hair care (almost daily) in a few ways to achieve the 3 Ss
  1. Soft Hair - As the O in the LOC method which has been my preferred method since the beginning of my natural hair journey in June 2015 
  2. Strong Hair - For scalp massages 
  3. Shiny Hair - On hands when undoing flat twists etc to reduce frizz 
I haven't use as a hot oil treatment as I prefer on the spot mixes tailored to specific care as needed.  However, the oils in this mix do work well in HOTs and it can be used as such.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This blend was adapted from the Hair (& Body) Oil Mix shared by Naptural85 many moons ago in 2012.  I had all intention of creating the same mix, however, I simply did not have all the oils used on hand but had a few others - 6 individual oils were quite enough.  Was I really about to add more oils to my stash for a single recipe that uses 1oz of a 4-16oz bottle? not really.
Additionally, as indicated above, knowing what your hair likes and what works for you helps in knowing when to swap/replace/eliminate.  I knew how the oils I already had on hand work for my hair so I made replacements accordingly.

Try this oil mix, I promise your hair will thank you!


Do you continue use oils in your hair care regimen through summer?



~ Josie Jo ~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, questions and feedback, as do the TNT community. They're are welcome and truly appreciated!