Wednesday 5 October 2016

Daily Damage Repair with Almond Milk | Review

Daily Damage Repair with Almond Milk | Review by This NATURAL Thing
It's finally here, the review on possibly the best line I've used since starting my natural hair journey.

The CAROL'S DAUGHTER ALMOND MILK line is designed for extremely damaged, over processed hair; whether hair is damaged daily from heat styling or as a result of everyday weather conditions or exposure to harsh environmental elements.
Each item in this line has a role in reversing damage, strengthening & protecting hair, and restoring softness.
The line also boasts No Parabens, No Mineral Oil, No Artificial Colors, and No Petroleum.

I used this line over the course of 2 months (2nd, 3rd, 4th times).  I like to give products a fair run before determining how they work for my hair and how much I like them.  As well as sufficient time before passing judgement and putting my opinion out here to be taking into consideration by you guys for making decisions and whatnot.

Review

ALMOND MILK SULFATE-FREE SHAMPOO & RESTORING CONDITIONER
Almond Milk Shampoo & Restoring Conditioner | Review by This NATURAL Thing

The Shampoo retails at $10.00 USD and comes in a 12oz pump bottle.
According to the label it is a gentle cleanser that strengthens each strand’s core, repairing and softening weakened, extremely damaged hair.  It is to be applied to wet hair and massaged into scalp, where a lather is expected.  Notable ingredients include Almond Milk, Aloe Butter, Karite Shea Oil, Rice Bran Extract, Shea Butter, and Coconut Oil.  The ingredients weren't all very high on the list for "key" ingredients.
I don't shampoo often, so this got the least use of all the items in the line.  However when I did use it, I appreciated its creamy but loose texture, which allowed it to be applied easily to my scalp - where I concentrate cleansers/shampoos.  It also provided a fair amount of slip, and it left my hair clean without feeling overly stripped.
The Conditioner retails at $12.00 USD and also comes ina  12oz pump bottle.
It nourishes and restores weakened over-processed hair and ends signs of damage.  It is suggested to be used on clean, wet hair, massaged into scalp and applied to hair, leaving on 3-5mins before rinsing. And is gentle enough to be used daily as a co-wash.  Notable ingredients listed are Almond Milk, Aloe Butter, Shea Oil, Shea Butter, Vegetable Protein, and Aloe Leaf Extract.  The positioning of these listed ingredients were fair and reasonable.
I definitely used this as a co-wash as my regimen regularly encompasses co-washing.  It has a light creamy, loose texture not unlike the shampoo.  It provided a good amount of slip, and left my hair feeling substantially clean.
ALMOND MILK ULTRA-NOURISHING HAIR MASK
Almond Milk Ultra Nourishing Hair Mask | Review by This NATURAL Thing
This guy carries the most weight on his shoulders of all items in the line - to reverse damage from the inside out, so hair looks and feels softer and healthier for longer. And this promise is packed in a 12oz tub retailing at $14.00 USD.
To ensure this promise comes to fruition, you are to massage into clean wet hair, not forgetting those ends and leave in hair 5-7mins, or covered with heat applied for 10-15mins before rinsing to help these nourishing ingredients get deep into your hair - Almond Milk, Aloe Butter, Shea Oil, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Sweet Almond Protein, and Olive Oil.  Much like the shampoo, I wasn't impressed with how the ingredients lined up.
Almond Milk Ultra Nourishing Hair Mask | Review by This NATURAL Thing
However, my hair absolutely loved this mask, which makes me question their highlighting specific ingredients (but that's for another review post).  This was rich, thick and creamy, but not thick as you expect of a mask, or how I usually like my DCs (treatments/masks included).  This texture did allow it to be spread through my hair really easily and provided great slip for detangling.  When rinsed my hair felt soft and strong, had actual shine, and supple - yes hair can be supple too, not just skin.
ALMOND MILK LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER
Almond Milk Leave-in Conditioner | Review by This NATURAL Thing
This little guy retails for $8.00USD and weighs in the least at 8oz in a pump spray bottle.
It is considered a lightweight leave-in conditioner that also shields weakened, over-processed hair from future damage, with the help of Almond Milk, Aloe Butter, Shea Oil, Cocoa Seed Butter, Grape Seed Oil, Jojoba Seed Oi, Soybean Oil, and Aloe Leaf Juice.  This is the only item where 2 highlighted ingredients appeared within the first 5 in the list.  It is applied by spraying all over hair  keeping a distance of 6-8 inches from hair, used to aid in detangling or to refresh styles.
I used this every time I washed my hair.  And I didn't think I would be a fan of the pump spray for a leave-in because I like to feel my products go in my hair as I apply them, but I really enjoyed this.  Due to it being practically water, or  having the consistency of water, it is the best  method of application.  I ensured my hair was completely saturated with it - on the verge of dripping wet).  It added moisture and hydration, which lasted through my style until the next wash day.

All of the products in this line smell absolutely amazing! Which I mentioned before here and after using for the first time. It can be a bit intense but does fade fairly quickly, however it also lingers in your hair through the week so your hair stays smelling freshly washed.  They all have a good balance of moisture and protein ingredients, that really help you keep that balance in check.  The proteins included are also easily penetrating light proteins, so, if you're protein sensitive you can still use this line.  
I started using the line in the month before I coloured my hair to help build my hair's strength and ensure sufficient moisture to withstand the process.  I also took the conditioner, mask and leave-in with me on my travels to NYC during the height summer.  And although I live on an island, the NYC heat is a different beast, it is harsh and aggressive, so I wanted to make sure I was packing so my hair would not fall victim to the change in environment.  They stood up to the test.

I would highly recommend the mask, and would repurchase myself, in addition to the conditioner - as a co-wash, and possibly the leave-in - still on fence a bit about it though.

Have you tried this Almond Milk line from Carol's Daughter, or any of their products?

~ Josie Jo ~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, questions and feedback, as do the TNT community. They're are welcome and truly appreciated!